|The Most Magnificent Name, The Name Jesus
Robert A. Sabin
- It is Gods saving name:
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none
other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
- It is the highest name:
- Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given
him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every
tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- It is Gods powerful name:
- Acts 5:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel,
that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the
dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
- It is the name God wills to call over the Gentiles:
- Acts 15:17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all
the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
- It is the baptismal name:
- Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every
one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the
gift of the Holy Ghost.
- Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were
baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
- Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the
Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
- Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the
- Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost
came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
- 1Corinthians 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or
were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
- Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the
name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
I. Why is this magnificent name so important?
- Acts 7:44 Our fathers had the tabernacle of witness in the
wilderness, as he had appointed, speaking unto Moses, that he should make it according to
the fashion that he had seen. 45 Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus*
into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers,
unto the days of David...
- Hebrews 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To
day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not
your hearts. 8 For if Jesus* had given them rest, then would he not
afterward have spoken of another day.
*The name Jesus in these verses is the Latinized, Anglicized name of
Joshua. The New Testament was written in Greek in which case the name Jesus would be
Iesous. When the New Testament was translated into Latin and then into English from the
Greek, the name became Jesus. Other names were Anglicized as well.
Even in the scripture we see the change in names when translated
from one language or dialect into another.
Examples: Isaiah, became in the Aramaic language, Esias : Juda,
became Judas : Joshua, became Jesus
- II. How Joshua Got His Name
- Numbers 13:1-3, 8, 16
- And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Send thou men, that they may
search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel: of every tribe of
their fathers shall ye send a man, every one a ruler among them. And Moses by the
commandment of the LORD sent them from the wilderness of Paran: all those men were heads
of the children of Israel...Of the tribe of Ephraim, Oshea the son of Nun...These
are the names of the men which Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Oshea
the son of Nun Jehoshua.
- Strongs Concordance
- 1954 Howshea, ho-shay-ah ; from 3467 ; deliverer
; Hoshea, the name of five Isr.: --Hosea, Hoshea, Oshea.
3091 Yehowshuwa, yeh-ho-shoo-ah, or Yehowshua, yeh-ho-shoo-ah
; from 3068 [Yeh-ho-vaw] and 3468 [yah-shah deliverance, prosperity,
safety, salvation, saving. ] Jehovah-saved ; Jehoshua (i.e. Joshua), the Jewish
leader:--Jehoshua, Jehoshuah, Joshua.
3444 Yeshuwah, ; yesh-oo ah, fem. pass. part of
3467 ; something saved, i.e. (abstr.) deliverance ; hence aid, victory,
prosperity: deliverance, health, help, salvation, save, saving (health), welfare.
2424 Ihsouz Iesous, ee-ay-sooce : of Heb. or  :
Jesus (i.e. Jehoshua ), the name of our Lord and two (three) other Isr.:
Using the various meanings of the suffix Yah-shah such
meanings could be rendered thusly, Jehovah who saves; Jehovah who makes
free; Jehovah who gives liberty; Jehovah who makes safe; Jehovah who
delivers; Jehovah who rescues; Jehovah who defends; Jehovah who
preserves; Jehovah who gets victory.
- Other Examples:
- In Hebrew or Aramaic the word Jehoshua is Yeshua or Yeshuah.
- The literal meaning of the word Oshea is Salvation.
- The literal meaning of the word Jehoshua, Yeshua or Yeshuah is
Jehovah is salvation.
- The name that the angel spoke to Joseph was most likely Yeshua, or
- The name Jesus in the Analytical concordance is Yeshua or Yeshuah.
Yesha is a shortened form of the word Yeshua and occurs in the Old Testament and is
translated as salvation.
- The word for salvation in the concordances is Oshea.
- The name Jehovah-Yeshua means Jehovah is salvation.
- III. The Name Appears
- Sometimes the name, Yeshuah, is used impersonally in the Old
Testament when it relates to Gods salvation or deliverance of Israel from her
1. Exodus 14:13 And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand
still, and see the salvation [Yeshua] of the LORD, which he will show to you
2. 1 Samuel 14:45 And the people said unto Saul, Shall Jonathan die,
who hath wrought this great salvation [Yeshua] in Israel?...
3. Psalm 71:15 My mouth shall show forth thy righteousness and thy salvation
[Yeshua] all the day; ...
4. Isaiah 49:8 ...in a day of salvation [Yeshua] have I
helped thee: and I will preserve thee, ...
- But, sometimes it is used personally
- 1. Isaiah 62:11 Behold, the LORD hath proclaimed unto the end of the
world, Say ye to the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy salvation [Yeshua] cometh;
behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.
- 2. Revelation 22:12 And, behold, I [Jesus] come quickly; and my
reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
- Jesus identifies himself as the Yeshua of the Old Testament
- 1. Isaiah 45:8 let them bring forth* salvation [Yeshua], and
let righteousness spring up together; (RSV - *Let the earth open...and salvation
[Yeshua] sprout forth, and let it cause righteousness to spring up also).
2. Jeremiah 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell
safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
3. Jeremiah 33:16 In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem
shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our
4. Jeremiah 51:10 The LORD hath brought forth our righteousness:
come, and let us declare in Zion the work of the LORD our God.
5. Psalm 91:16 With long life will I satisfy him, and show him
my salvation Yeshua [Simeon] .
6. Luke 2:29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace,
according to thy word: 28 Then took he him [Yeshua] up in his arms, and blessed God, and
said, 30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, [Gr. soterion] 31 Which thou
hast prepared before the face of all people; 32 A light to lighten the Gentiles, and the
glory of thy people Israel.
7. Psalm 98:1 O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done
marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory. 2 The
LORD hath made known his salvation [Yeshua]: his righteousness
hath he openly shown in the sight of the heathen. 3 He hath remembered his mercy
and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the
salvation of our God.
8. Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the
law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
9. Luke 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
10. Acts 28:28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation
of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.
11. Psalm 118:14 The LORD is my strength and song, and is
become my salvation [Yeshua]. Ps. 118:15 The voice of rejoicing and salvation
[Yeshua] is in the tabernacles of the righteous: the right hand of the LORD doeth
- Jehovah is become Salvation [Yeshua]!
12. Ps. 118:21 I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me,
and art become my salvation [Yeshua]. 22 The stone which the builders refused is
become the head stone of the corner. Jehovah is become salvation [Yeshua]!
Jehovah is become the head of the corner.
- Jesus [Yeshua] calls himself the head of the corner!!!!
- He is literally Gods salvation, Gods Yeshua!
13. Matthew 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the
scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the
corner: this is the Lords doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
14. Mark 12:10 And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which
the builders rejected is become the head of the corner:
15. Luke 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that
is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the
16. Acts 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you
builders, which is become the head of the corner.
17. 1 Peter 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but
unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is
made the head of the corner.
IV. The Great Hallel (praise) which was sung by the priest on the
last day of the Feast of Tabernacles as he poured out water
Isaiah 12:1 And in that day thou shalt say, O LORD, I will praise
thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me.
2 Behold, God is my salvation [Yeshua]; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the
LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation [Yeshua].
3 Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation [Yeshua] . 4
And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings
among the people, make mention that his name is exalted. 5 Sing unto the LORD; for he hath
done excellent things: this is known in all the earth. 6 Cry out and shout, thou
inhabitant of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in the midst of thee.
John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus
stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38 He that
believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living
water. 39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive:
for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
Jesus identifies himself as the Yeshua of Isaiah, as the LORD
JEHOVAH. The people are to drink from the wells of Yeshuah. Jesus Yeshua] says, "come
unto ME and drink." IN JESUS CHRIST WAS THE FULLNESS OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD!
- V. THE NAME OF OUR GOD
- Psalm 51:2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me
from my sin.
Psalm 51:3 For I acknowledge my
transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my
mother conceive me.
PARALLELISM OCCURS OFTEN IN HEBREW POETRY
Psalm 20:5 We will rejoice in thy salvation [YESHUA] , and in
the name of our God we will set up our banners:
- VI. THE ONE THRONE, THE ONE OCCUPANT, THE ONE NAME, THE ONE FACE
- Revelation 22:3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of
God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him
- Revelation 22:4 And they shall see his face; and his
name shall be in their foreheads.
- Never in scripture is Gods throne depicted as more than one
- Throne is referred to 32 times in the book of Revelation in reference
to God and/or the lamb. It is always one throne that is spoken of. Throne is referred to 8
times in other New Testament references, and again, it is always singular. There is one
throne, not three. The lamb always appears out of (Gr. ek) the midst of the throne.
- VII. The Magnificent Name - The Name Jesus
- Rev. 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of
my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God,
and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of
heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
- How many personal names are written upon the overcoming believer?
- If the name Jesus is the highest name, Philippians 2:9
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a (the) name which is above
- And the Fathers own name, John 17:11 Holy Father, keep
them in thy name, the name which thou hast given me. NASB, plus Nestles. John
17:12 While I was with them I kept them in thy name which thou hast given me. NASB
- And the only saving name, Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation
in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we
must be saved.
Then, what is the new name that Jesus will write upon the
- How many names will the the overcomer have written upon him? The
name of my God...my new name, one name or two?
- Revelation 14:1 And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the
mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name
written in their foreheads.
- RV Revelation 14:1 And I saw, and behold, the Lamb standing on
Mount Zion, and with him one hundred and forty and four thousand, have His Name and
The Name of His Father written on their foreheads.
- His Name, and The Name of His Father...one name? or two?
- Revelation 22:3 And there shall be no more curse: but the
throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. one
master, or two? one face, or two? one throne, or two? one name, or two?
- The Name? The Fathers Name, YHVH, Jehovah, Jehovah-Oshea,
Jehoshua, The Fathers Name which was given to Jesus.
- Matthew 28:19 Matt. 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all
nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy
- VIII. The Name of The Father Becomes the Name of Jesus
- Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized
every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye
shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord (RV Jesus Christ).
Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only
they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name
of the Lord Jesus.
Galatians 1:12 For I neither received it of man,
neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. Jesus, according to
Paul, was not a mere man.
- IX. The name of Jesus, to Peter, to Philip, Paul was the name of
the Father and of the son and of the Holy Ghost.
Psalm. 20:5 We will rejoice in thy (Yeshua) salvation,
and in the name of our God (parallelism, the name of Yeshua is the name of our God) we
will set up our banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions.